Saturday, November 24, 2012

Random Acts of Amy


 
“The willingness to share does not make one charitable; it makes one free.” 

Let me preface this blog by saying that in NO way do I mean this to be about me or do I mean it to sound boastful or prideful! I just simply set out to do things for others and to help put a smile on people's faces. I share this with you just to pass on one of the most wonderful experiences I've had in life and to maybe inspire someone else to pass on some kindness each day.

I met my friend Dollie, who graciously gave up her whole day just to help me, and we set off! Here's a list of some things that we accomplished:

  • Cooked dinner for a friend
  • Sent a care package to a military person
  • Delivered groceries to some friends in need
  • Delivered groceries to several homes. We just drove around and picked some places that we felt looked like they could benefit from some extra help.
  • Bought donuts for a stranger
  • Delivered donuts to Fox Ridge
  • Coffee bought for a lady in line at Starbucks (and for me and Dollie!! DUH!)
  • Helped an elderly man find his car in the Target parking lot. This man was so sweet and it was evident that he was confused about where he parked his car. I offered him a ride around until we found it for him. Made me think of my pappy and how much I loved that man.
  • Handed out a sucker to a little boy who was walking around with his dad
  • Passed out suckers to children in Wal-Mart
  • Passed out quarters to children in Wal-Mart to use for gumball machines
  • Left quarters at vending machines for children
  • Passed out suckers and water bottles to the cart pushers at Wal-Mart
  • Returned shopping carts into the store from the parking lot
  • Passed out water to some workers on the road
  • Passed out water bottles to construction workers at Benton Complex
  • Left water bottles on car of someone walking the track
  • Left a bag of food on the hood of a car for a random person in a parking lot. This one got me. Dollie suggested that particular car. I was trying to be gentle while laying the bag on the hood, when I saw someone out of the corner of my eye move. There was someone sleeping in the front, covered up with blankets. You could see clothes and belongings piled in the back seat. Broke my heart.
  • Handed out water to a delivery truck man
  • Gave a roll of quarters to a lady in need at the laundry mat
  • Dropped off a bag of clothes at the Goodwill store
  • Drove through the bank and sent suckers to the tellers through the machine
  • Left notes on some cars with suckers
  • Delivered water and suckers to the Bryant fire station. They were so grateful that they sang happy birthday to me! It was quite comical!
  • Donated money to the Humane Society
  • Handed out suckers to strangers and even got to give some suckers to Santa!! He assured me that because of this, I would get on the good list
  • Delivered donuts to a young man in a trailer park
  • Handed out water to some lawn workers
  • Bought a gift for someone and delivered it to their house
  • Volunteered at Fox Ridge and helped decorate for Christmas
  • Left a note and some chocolate for the mailman
 





 

 





So humbled and so blessed to be able to do little things for people. The smiles I received were worth it. I try to give something of myself everyday but yesterday was a day I will never forget. This will be something that I will do every year now and just want to encourage others to do the same. Not just for one day but each and everyday you can.
“Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water -it will make ripples throughout the entire pond...”



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe you are such a awesome and giving person.So thankful for you and your big HEART.I pray everyday and thank the Lord above for you and hope he blesses you more than you could even imagine.........I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete